PerioTabs® A Professional PerioCream® Product
What is PerioTabs®?PerioTabs® helps reduce gingivitis, periodontitis, peri-mucositis and peri-implantitis through elimination of oral biofilm accumulation on gums, teeth and dental implants and is to be used only if recommended by the dentist. The procedure consists of brushing the teeth and gums with the provided tablets dissolved in lukewarm water (Figure 1).
The formulation of PerioTabs® is based on the NitrAdine® anti-biofilm formula and is intended for use in the oral cavity on gums and teeth.
PerioTabs® contains 10 small effervescent tablets (1 tablet per day for 10 days). One tablet is to be dissolved in 15 ml of lukewarm water in the provided container. Whilst the tablet is dissolving, the toothbrush should be immersed in the solution and left for 15 minutes. This will allow the toothbrush bristles to absorb the PerioTabs® solution (Figure 2) before brushing commences. The patient should then brush their teeth and gums with the solution for 2 minutes (Figure 3). This process should be repeated for 10 consecutive days.
PerioTabs® is a Medical Device Class I product, and patent pending in Europe and USA (application numbers EP15798353.7 and US 15/526,247).
PerioTabs® clinical resultsA clinical trial was conducted on 20 chronic periodontal patients after scaling and root planing (SRP) and the PerioTabs® treatment, which consisted of 10 days brushing the gums and teeth,
resulted in a significant reduction of:
- Plaque index
- Gingival index
- Gum pain
Efficacy of PerioTabs®Clinical trial results
Results of the multicentre, open label, randomised, clinical study to evaluate and compare the efficacy and safety of PerioCream®, a Periodontal Paste Dressing and Gum Brushing Solution (PerioTabs®) as an adjunct treatment to SRP in patients suffering from chronic periodontitis can be seen on the graphs below.
Examples of recent clinical evaluation studies with PerioTabs® brushing solution
- Glass RT., Bullard JW., Conrad RS., Blewett EL. (2004). Evaluation of the sanitization effectiveness of a denture-cleaning product on dentures contaminated with known microbial flora. An in vitro study. Quintessence Int ; 35: 194–199.
- Coenye T., De Prijck K., De Wever B., and Nelis H.J. (2008). Use of the modified Robbins device to study the in vitro biofilm removal efficacy of NitrAdine, a novel disinfecting formula for the maintenance of oral medical devices. J. Appl. Microbiol. 105, 733–740.
- Silva-Lovato C.H., De Wever B., Adriaens E., Paranhos H., Watanabe E., Pisani M.X., Souza R.F. de, and Ito I.Y. (2010). Clinical and antimicrobial efficacy of NitrAdineTM-based disinfecting cleaning tablets in complete denture wearers. J. Appl. Oral Sci. 18, 560–565.
- Vento-Zahra E., De Wever B., Decelis S., Mallia K., and Camilleri S. (2011). Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to test the efficacy of NitrAdineTM tablets in maxillary removable orthodontic appliance patients. Quintessence Int. 42, 37–43.
- Glass R.T., Conrad R.S., Köhler G.A., Warren A.J., and Bullard J.W. (2011). Microbiota found in protective athletic mouthguards. Sports Health 3, 244–248.
- Decelis S., Camilleri S., Zahra E.V., Scerri E., and De Wever B. (2012). The effect of NitrAdineTM on the Candida levels of maxillary removable appliances. Quintessence Int. 43, 239–245.
- Fathi H., Martiny H., Jost-Brinkmann P-G., (2015). Efficacy of cleaning tablets for removable orthodontic appliances. J. Orofac. Orthop. / Fortschritte der Kieferorthopädie 76, 143–151.
- Coimbra F.C.T., Salles M.M., De Oliveira V.C., Macedo A.P., Da Silva C.H.L., Pagnano V.O., and Paranhos H. de F.O.(2016). Antimicrobial efficacy of complete denture cleansers. Am. J. Dent. 29, 149–153.
- Sakly A., Jutla Y., Jutla B., Hadded I., De Wever B., Satia M., and Bogaert J.P. (2017). Clinical and microbiological effects of PerioCream® a periodontal dressing combined with an antimicrobial gum brushing solution after scaling and root planing : A multi-center randomized clinical trial. J Dent Oral Care 2, 1–6.